GAMADV-xtd3 is a command-line tool for managing Google domains and it works very well for many things. This is a list of some tasks I use from time-to-time.
- Put users into an OU. The target OU in this case is iPads – Pangyo, a subgroup of our Organizational Emails OU. I put a list of usernames into a text file (ipads.txt) saved in my GAM folder and ran the following in Terminal:
gam update org "Organizational Emails/iPads - Pangyo" add file ipads.txt
- Suspend Google accounts of departed faculty: create a one-column file departed.csv with header Email containing departed faculty email addresses.
gam csv gam update user ~Email suspended true
- Find all groups with suspended users: We notice that suspended users still show up in mail groups. In order to identify and remove them, the following will list all groups followed by the number (and emails) of suspended accounts still appearing in each group. In the latter list, if one sees something like:
this means that sususer01 & 02 are suspended accounts that are still members of the group groupname.
gam print groups members suspended
- Remove Suspended Users from all groups: Along with the previous tip, to remove a user from all groups, just use:
gam user firstname.lastname@example.org delete groups
- Using GAM with Multiple Domains: I use GAMADV-XTD3 with two Google domains. Once one is set up, the other can be added by editing the gam.cfg file to have the following lines at the end:
[faculty] domain = facultydomain.edu customer_id = facultyDomainCustomerID# config_dir = faculty [students] domain = studentdomain.edu customer_id = studentDomainCustomer# config_dir = students
Then create sub-folders faculty and students. In each folder, place the respective client_secrets.json and oauth2service.json files. Then use the following to switch from faculty domain to students domain:
gam select students save
- Add Events to Users’ Calendars: To add an event to users’ calendars, use the command below.
– The +09:00 shifts GMT to South Korea Time
– The “accepted” tag forces the attendees to accept the event. This can be
excluded if not needed
gam calendar email@example.com create event start 2022-05-16T17:00:00+09:00 end 2022-05-16T17:00:05+09:00 selectattendees accepted users firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com summary "Event Title - Summary"
- Delete an email: If someone inadvertently sends an email to the wrong people or with unfortunate content, we can delete it with GAM. In the Google Admin panel, find the Message ID and drop it right after the “rfc822msgid:”
Note that “doit” at the end instructs gam to actually delete the messages. Without “doit” gam will search for messages and identify those addresses which would be affected, but without actually deleting the message.
gam all users delete messages query rfc822msgid:CAHn4qqS-7HmDMme+x5STHO1=x6r-8mTy698GwErBZnko6Z1cDQ@mail.gmail.com doit
- Delete spam email messages: If some ne’er-do-well with address spammer@hotmail .com sends a mass email, you can delete them with:
gam all users delete messages query "from:firstname.lastname@example.org" doit ...or by subject: gam all users delete messages query "subject:Click this harmless link" doit
- Bulk Create Google Classrooms: Create ClassroomCreation.csv with columns alias, course, section, teacher and run the following.
gam csv ClassroomCreation.csv gam create course alias "~alias" name "~course" section "~section" teacher "~teacher" status ACTIVE
- Bulk Add Co-Teachers to Classrooms: Create BulkAddTeachers.csv with columns email, alias and run the following.
gam csv BulkAddTeachers.csv gam user "~email" create classroominvitation course "~alias" role teacher
- Find the owner of a Google Doc: It’s the simps if you know the file ID:
gam show ownership 1SYWGvYIRAt6Q6vfC3BgtlRBNLOU0tSYgLycw4bKOkY
- Bulk Add Calendars to Users: Create BulkAddCalendars.csv with columns email, calAddress and run the following (calAddress is the calendar’s address, a bunch of random-looking characters followed by @group.calendar.google.com). Note the options:
Selected true: “Selects” the calendar to be visible by default. backgroundcolor and foreground um, well, set the background and foreground colors for the calendar.
gam csv BulkAddCalendars.csv gam user "~email" add calendar "~calAddress" selected true backgroundcolor '#009900' foregroundcolor '#FFFFFF'